Friday 28 November 2014

Bright stars cot quilt

This week I have been making a cot quilt with bright stars on a white background. The weather has been so dull and dreary, no sun, lots of fog and cold, so cold. But in the sewing room the stars are bright on the design wall and the colours have made me smile. Here is the block....


Born under a wandering star block
It comes from this book which is my go to book for star blocks as Judy gives such clear instructions and the pieces always fit together. 




My copy is very battered now as it has been rained on during a leaky roof episode and has been used for years too. Here are all the blocks layered with the wadding and backing fabric, all ready for quilting...



I loved choosing the colours for the stars, all bright contrasts, but it would look lovely in paler colours too....



I have quilted it with swirls and squiggles, swirls in the star centres and squiggles in the larger white spaces. I use a basic Bernina sewing machine with dropped feed dogs, zero stitch length and a darning foot. Each star is stitched with a matching thread, which took quite a time with all the different thread colours to thread through the machine!



I am just showing you lots of stars as I love the colours. 


The white fabric areas are made up of several different fabrics to add interest to the pale spaces...



Here you can see the backing fabric which is white with pale lemon polka dots...



Here is the finished quilt. At the top and bottom of the quilt there are strips of the backing fabric which have been free machine quilted with stippling stitch. A name can be added at the bottom with letters bonded on over the quilting and stitched down. The edges are bound with the same fabric as the back to keep the rest of the quilt calm beside the bright stars.

Bright stars cot quilt by Green Star Quilts
Thanks for stopping to read my blog, writing it helps me to understand where all my time in the week goes. It also keeps me focused on finishing projects so I have something to talk about! I really enjoy reading other blogs too and 'meeting' people from all over the world. If you leave a comment or ask a question I will reply if you leave your e mail address,
Happy quilting this weekend,
Kind regards,
Sue


7 comments:

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Such a beautiful bright and happy finish!! Congrats on a very striking finish!

Sheri said...

Your star quilt is gorgeous and I love the quilting too!

Jenny said...

That is so nice and bright, I'm a real star lover too. Love the quilting - as you say, quite slow with all the thread colour changes, but very effective.

Sue @ Quilting the Green Star said...

Thank you to all of you leaving comments, you are all so encouraging and very polite about my quilting too! There are a few lumps which you can't see in the photo but I have squashed them down with the iron!

Sue @ Quilting the Green Star said...

Hello Sheri, I tried to look on your blog but I think the privacy settings won't allow it, so just to say thank you for visiting my blog and for your kind comment too. Hope you have a lovely week quilting.

Annie said...

I own 10 Judy Martin books. How did I miss The Block Book?

Sue @ Quilting the Green Star said...

Hello Annie, the Block Book is my favourite and so old and tatty now through much use, I don't know if you can still buy it. I didn't realise Judy had written so many other books. Thanks for visiting my blog, come again soon.