Wednesday 2 July 2014

Painting, jumpers and a tea party

This week I have been catching up on the piles of unfinished things in the sewing room and having a big tidy up at home generally. So far I have painted one window and the twirly bit at the bottom of the stairs which has suffered many a stiletto heel during a wedding, a christening, lots of parties and me dropping nail polish remover on the paint.... I am persuading husband to the top step of the ladder to paint the ceiling and the turquoise cornice which will become the blue of the cupboard. I am a bit faint hearted about the top of the ladder and our ceilings are very high!




When not wobbling at the top of the ladder I have been reusing woolly jumpers whose elbows Have Gone, as my mother would say.... and now the  they are all joined together into a lovely cosy woolly quilt which will be an essential in our drafty house during winter evenings and, if I'm honest, these quilts are jolly nice during the day and at lunch time too!


Woolly jumper quilt by Green Star Quilts
For this quilt I used five jumpers and backed it with lilac coloured fleece from Kay's stall on the market. You can see her stall here. I took it for a walk around the garden ....




I quilted it with a wiggly stitch to hold the thicker seams flat and the edges are bound with floral brushed cotton form an old dress.

In Colleen's garden her blackbirds are in a tizzy about the cats and here they fuss all day long about the owls. We have two fluffy babies snoozing in the sun at the top of the willow tree...

and parents who are fed up with their hungry squeaks during the day when they should be asleep like good babies... parents of all young children will understand! Sometimes they hide in an effort to catch up on sleep...


Thinking outside the box!
This afternoon we saw one parent catch a field mouse in the flowerbed amid a huge noise from the small birds roundabout. I have never seen one hunt in the day before, but the babies are big now and flapping and hopping and need lots of food.

In Lincoln we have a new bookshop:


Lindum Books in the Bailgate Lincoln
I am delighted to find they are stocking Persephone books which are my passion. These are books written between 1900 and about 1940, mostly by women and published by a Persephone Books in London. You can visit their excellent and really lovely website here

The books are all printed with pale grey covers and have lovely end papers of old textile designs, and, best of all, they come with a matching bookmark....





I have a little collection starting...



and this is where the snuggly woolly quilt meets my new Persephone book...



and maybe one of these too...


The kind ladies of Lindum Books are hosting a tea party at the White Hart Hotel in the Bailgate in August. Jo and I can't wait to meet more Persephone readers and tuck into more of the above! We are so lucky to have this event instead of travelling to London to the shop in Russell Square, so thank you Sasha and Gill.

The Bailgate, Lincoln
 If you would like to know how to make a jumper quilt, just let me know and I will come up with a tutorial for those of you who might be worried about the using of knitted fabric,

I hope you have enjoyed the virtual tea party with a good book and your week goes well,
Kind regards,
Sue

No comments: