Sunday 6 April 2014

A nature walk

This week I am starting a new quilt. The theme is British wildlife and it will be a gift for Jean to give to her little grand daughter. I have really enjoyed the designing of this quilt, today I have been drawing a kingfisher pattern, this little bird is a flash of colour we see often along the river bank on the way into town. The colours of the quilt are yellows and greens, soft and subtle with little touches of brighter shades. Here is the first block...



This my favourite book for drawing birds from, I bought it in a thrift shop:


Kingfisher by Green Star Quilts

 There will be lots of other wildlife, but now I am making the fill in blocks...



I found I have some printed small panels which are just right with three squares added....


I hope the hedgehogs in our garden are waking up now and soon I will see them pottering around in the evenings. Last year I found one eating the fallen wild plums near the vegetable patch. 
Last year I went to an exhibition of one of the artists who most inspires me. Mark Hearld is a British collage artist and he had a brilliant display of his work over several rooms at The Yorkshire Sculpture Park...

From the exhibition catalogue of Mark Hearld 

I love his painted animals, both wooden sculptures and painted pictures, he captures the essence of each animal in simple shapes:

Mark Heald's wooden, painted animal shapes
The Yorkshire Sculpture Park is a marvellous place to visit, loads to see, places to walk, great food and Henry Moore sculptures in the grounds:

Henry Moore sculpture, The Yorkshire Sculpture park
Thinking about  places and everyday journeys as I was cycling to the library last week, I realised it must be one of the most beautiful journeys to a library a person could have, so come with me on a trip:


Over the little foot bridge on my bicycle and there's The Witham river flowing into Lincoln


Along the riverbank beside the allotments with Lincoln Cathedral all misty in the distance



Time to say hello to the Shetland pony in the field, I don't know his name though

Boutham Park lake
Past the lake with ducks and swans waiting to be fed, 


detail from Sam's quilt


Through the beautiful Victorian wrought iron  park gates

Boutham Library
To our local library, then back home again with lots of books, for coffee and some of Lucy's excellent Lemon Drizzle Cake


Lucy's lemon Drizzle cake






I hope you have enjoyed my nature walk, There will be more photos as the quilt grows bigger. The weather is warming up here, time to plant my potatoes, the weeds are definitely growing too! Thanks for dropping in to visit,


Kind regards,
Sue









No comments: